Saturday, October 15, 2011

Round 2 or Snake Oil?

Today was an eight mile run.  Afterwards we had breakfast at "Alicia's", a favorite of mine.  I love the "Skinny Minny", an english muffin served open faced with scrambled egg, fresh spinach, tomato, onion, and dijon mustard....so yummy.  Served with a fresh fruit salad of honey dew, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, mmm, .....food heaven. 

She has a gift boutique adjacent to the restaurant that I am always compelled to peruse (love to look at the pretties!).  There are small stones or river rocks in the sink in the ladies room.  Every time I wash my hands I think I should put these stones in my bathroom sink.  Then the thought promptly vanishes until I'm back at Alicia's. 

This morning while washing my hands and thinking "I should put these stones in my sink", I had a flashback.  To my sink.  Instead of pretty "spa like" river rocks, I have the pump dispenser from my hand lotion thrown in my sink.  Three days ago when I depressed the pump no lotion spewed forth.  So of course I depressed it over and over expecting a different result and not getting one.  Finally I came to the conclusion that it must be almost empty.  So I took the pump out, put it in the sink and got a container to place the upturned empty bottle of lotion in.  Really?  What am I gonna get out of there?  One more application?  Geeze, tomorrow I'm going to throw it away.  And I just might put those rocks in the sink.....but maybe they won't be so pretty in a sink where one brushes their teeth.  Spitting toothpaste onto the rocks might just make it not so pretty and "spa like".

Driving home after the run and yummy breakfast I kept thinking "man I feel good, I feel so good I want to run some more".  This really surprises me because last week we did a 14 mile run.  At about mile 9 I started to feel really tired, and my calves started cramping at about 12 and a half miles.  Those "zombie hands reaching up from the ground and grabbing my calf" kind of cramps.  I ended up cutting that run short, I stopped at about 13.5 miles and walked the last half a mile. 

The only other time I've had an issue with cramping was in Napa towards the end of the half.  Now here it is less than 3 months later and I'm getting them again.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just a hydration issue.

I've been feeling fatigued lately and can't really pin point why.  I've started going to bed earlier and earlier hoping that maybe I just need to catch up on my sleep.  But have still been feeling tired and my runs lately have just felt like such a chore.  Even blogging seems like work (which explains why my posts are getting further and further apart).

I did the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure a few weeks ago (I'll post more about that race separately)  and received tons of swaggle.  One of the items was a "Power Balance" necklace.  I almost bought one of the bracelets in February at the Surf City Expo, but when the guy told me that one of his co-workers put one on his dog and the dog was cured of it's arthritis.....well, he talked himself right out of the sale.  A banner flashed in my brain.....

~~~~~~ SNAKE OIL~~~~~~ 

So when I got the freebie I was a little excited, cause now I get to try it on my own for free.  Being a major skeptic, I was a little apprehensive of the placebo effect.  I decided to just put it on and forget about it.  I definitely do not think about it while I'm running.  In fact this morning after our run someone asks pointing to my neck "what is that? A heart monitor?"  I look down and say, oh, it's my head phones and pull them out of my shirt. "No that other thing."  Huh?  Oh, and then I see it, the necklace, hmmm, interesting, cause I felt strong running today.  I hadn't worn the necklace for a week or so (maybe those sucky runs lately?), but today, I had a good run.  So good in fact that on the drive home I had to resist the urge to park the car and run home. 

It's either the necklace workin it's magic.  Or....it could be that after doing a 13.5 mile run with a half mile walk last Saturday, makes an 8 mile run a piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment