Saturday, May 21, 2011

Tamara's 25th and Things 5 and 6

Last night we celebrated Tamara's 25th birthday.....Quarter of a Century Baby!  and I managed to complete things 5 and 6.  Thing 5 was attend a teppanyaki dinner show.  I know, I don't know how I managed to live this long and not do it before, but it's true.

I've said that my 51 things do not need to take me out of my comfort zone, but if they do, all the better.  This was mildly uncomfortable.  Sometimes it's hard to go to a place that you've never been, knowing that you are going to experience something so new to you (sounds a little lame when I type it out like that, but for me it is true).  I experienced a little angst in deciding what to eat.  Dang I've been to new restaurants before and it's been no big deal, but this really seemed like it was going to feel so foreign to me.  As usual the anxiety was all for naught.  Food was great, had miso soup for the first time....geeze, I really have lead a sheltered life!  So thing #5 is, saw a teppanyaki dinner show.

Ahhhh, but what about thing #6?  As you know I am vehemently opposed to double dipping.  Trying miso soup for the first time at a teppan restaurant would be double dipping......catching a little bit of rice in my mouth thrown by the chef would be double dipping....assuming I had actually caught the rice, but after 3 trys the guy gave up.  Now eating eel....well that's just so far out there for me I'm counting that as thing #6 despite being at a sushi joint!  I would have never ever in my wildest dreams think I'd eat eel.  The only reason I did was because my little niece Tami was sitting next to me and she was eating it!  When I asked what she had she asked if I'd like to try it.  "No, that's ok, thanks anyway" I told her.  Tamara and Kristal over heard me.....and said "Do it!, it would be thing number 6!", and proceeded to chant "six, six, six, six".  So I did it.  I'll do practically anything with enough encouragement.....well maybe not anything.....

Things # 5 and 6 done, 45 to go.

Happy Quarter Century to Tamara!

No comments:

Post a Comment