Friday, March 11, 2011

AARP and other rants

Hard to get started today (surprise, surprise). Again it felt like I was running in s-l-o-w-- -- m-o-t-i-o-n up the hill. Oddly it's my best time this week, weird, must have something to do with the slow motion....like time standing still. Although I still have not hit my goal time (10:55 or less), in fact I think I abandoned that goal a week ago anyway.

I am officially over the hill , umh, on the down side of the hill , errr... half way done , uuhhh, more miles done then to go, yeah, that's it. Can't shake the feeling that each mile represents a year in my life as the miles add up, I'm actually starting to reflect on where I was in my life with each year/mile now (now that I've gotten to a point where I can actually remember....like really, who remembers when they were 5?). So I'm a little wary of phrases that imply I'm "half way".

And what's up with AARP? I received a card and membership packet in the mail last week. The nerve. I have yet to open it. I'm in denial. Are you a senior citizen at 50? Cause I really don't feel old enough to be a senior. And I diligently color my hair in an attempt to hide that fact from the general public. Can I order off the senior breakfast menu at Carrow's? Am I eligible for senior discounts?

According to Social Security I am not eligible to retire until like 72. 72! I will probably feel like a senior then. And let's face it, there will be no benefits for me by then. I'm at the very tail end of the baby boomers. I should have been a cop, or had a career in the military. I could retire in 24 days. A former co-worker's husband was in the Air Force, retired at 45, and low and behold, they were able to finagle his position into a "civilian" position. So now he collects full retirement benefits, and works at the same job he had, collecting the same amount of $. Now I consider running a mile in a race and counting that mile as my mile of the day double dipping. I'm not even going to say what I consider THAT as. I mean come on, can't we save a slice of the life-cake for my potential future grandchildren?

Sounds like someone forgot to take their prosaic this morning.

Anyway, point is, I don't feel like a senior citizen, but I'm not opposed to reaping the benefits of any discounts that retailers are willing to throw my way.

Mile #26 done.

No comments:

Post a Comment